Three civilian casualties (one dead and two injured) have been reported after last week’s attack on Rann town of Borno state by suspected members of ISWAP, who were said to have targeted a military station.
Rann is the headquarters of Kala-Balge local government, one of the most difficult to reach locations of Borno state.
On August 30, reports reaching The Humanitarian Times indicated that the town had again come under heavy attack by armed insurgents.
Though details of the attack had remained sketchy for days, even though the military had since said the troops who had earlier fled their post were able to regroup the next morning to tackle the insurgents while on their way out of the town.
However, a report released by IOM on September 1 indicated that a total of 1,796 persons from 332 household were forced to flee their homes, splashing through flooded buses to safer locations in Cameroon border communities.
Part of the report reads:
“On 30 August 2021 at about 3:00am, a Non-State Armed Group (NSAG) carried out an attack in Rann A ward in Kala Balge LGA of Borno State, leading to a substantial wave of population displacement.
“Following the attack, a rapid assessment was conducted by DTM field staff with the purpose of informing the humanitarian community and government partners, and enabling targeted response. Flash reports utilise direct observation and a broad network of key informants to gather representative data and collect information on the number, profile and immediate needs of the affected population.
“As a result of the attack, a total of 1,769 individuals from 332 households were displaced from Klagaru Camp in Rann A ward of Kala Balge LGA in Borno State towards the neighboring villages in Cameroon Republic. The villages where they are currently displaced are Bodo, Chingori, Biyamu, Madina and Baram Karaguwa in the Republic of Cameroon.